Friday, January 18, 2013

Terrifically Easy Turkey Meatball Sub

One of my favorite sandwiches is a Meatball Sub and I figured they couldn't be too hard to make.  For dinner the other night I had some ground turkey and I bought some soft Italian buns so I thought they would be perfect for dinner.


Terrifically Easy Turkey Meatball Sub

1 lb ground turkey
1/3 cup Italian Seasoned Bread Crumbs
pinch of kosher salt
pepper to taste
1 garlic clove pressed
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 jar of your favorite Marinara Sauce, I like Newman's Own
1 tsp Italian Seasoning
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
Sliced Provolone cheese

In a mixing bowl mix the meat, salt and pepper, garlic and bread crumbs.  Add in the egg and stir to combine.

I cooked my meatballs on the stove top but you can easily bake them if you prefer to do it that way... Preheat a large 12" skillet over medium high heat and drizzle with olive oil.  Using a medium sized scoop,  scoop out meat mixture from the mixing bowl and either shape into a true ball, or just put directly into your pan (I got about 20 meatballs from my turkey mixture).  I kind of like them a little flat on one side, they stay on your sandwich better.  Cook until brown on one side, flip and cover.  Reduce the heat to medium and cook until done.  About 10 minutes.

If you want to bake your meatballs, preheat your oven to 350 F.  Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper.  Spray lightly with non-stick cooking spray.  Place meatballs on the baking pan and bake about 15 minutes.  Remove from the oven, turn over and return to the oven for another 5 minutes until fully cooked.

Add the jar of sauce to the large skillet with the Italian seasoning and Parmesan cheese.  Stir and bring to a simmer.  Heat your oven to 400 F and toast the buns for about 4 minutes until warm.  Spoon about 4 meatballs onto each bun, cut the cheese in half and add to the meatballs.  Return to the oven for 2-5 minutes until cheese is nice and melted and the bottom bun is starting to brown.

Makes 6 Sub Sandwiches

Print Friendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...