Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas

I love Enchiladas, it is no secret.  And I don't really prefer red over green or visa versa, they are both just lovely bundles of cheesy wonderfulness.  What I make simply depends on what I have on hand.  This recipe is easy and tastes great.  Smiles all the way around which is my idea of a successful dinner.


Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas

2 10 oz cans Green Enchilada Sauce or one large can
1 4.5oz can diced green chilies, drained
2 cups shredded Monterrey Jack Cheese
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar Cheese
Tortillas (the most authentic are to use the small corn tortillas, I had the 8" flour tortillas so that is what I used)
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
olive oil
kosher salt and black pepper to taste
1 clove of garlic, pressed
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/4-1/2 tsp ground ancho chili powder
1/4-1/2 tsp ground chipotle pepper
1/4 tsp ground coriander (optional)
Juice of 1/2 a lime (optional)

Preheat your oven to 400 F.  Spray a 9 x 13" baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.

Heat a skillet over medium high heat and drizzle with about a Tbsp of olive oil.  Cook the chicken seasoned with the salt and pepper until done.  Turn off the burner.  Shred the chicken.

*I found a cool trick on Pinterest about how to shred chicken fast, I don't know why I didn't know about it before.  Genius!  Put the chicken in the bowl of your Kitchen Aid and attach the paddle blade.  Turn on medium-medium high for about 30 seconds to a minute and voila, shredded chicken!

Turn the burner onto low.  Return the chicken to the pan.  Press the garlic into the pan and add the remaining seasonings.  Add the diced green chilies and half of a can of sauce (about 2/3 of a cup).  Add in 1 cup of the cheese and stir to combine.  Turn off the burner.

In a large shallow bowl dump in the other half of the enchilada sauce.  I make an assembly line.  I have the pan, my bowl of sauce, my tortillas and pan all close together.  Take the tortillas out of the bag and make accessible you are going to get messy :).  Take a tortilla and dip into the sauce coating one side completely.  Use your hand to spread it around if you need to.  (This step is especially important if using corn tortillas as they tend to break really easy)  Using a spoon, place desired amount of filling down the center of the tortilla. Place in the pan and wrap tightly.  Press to the end of the pan.  Repeat with the remaining filling.  Since I used large tortillas I made about 8 with my filling.

Drizzle the remaining can of sauce and any left over from your bowl over the top of the enchiladas.  Sprinkle with the remaining cheeses and bake for 20-25 minutes until the cheese is melted and the sauce is bubbly.

Print Friendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...