Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Swirled Cookies

I was looking for a fun and festive cookie to add to my Christmas packages and I found a recipe for swirled mint cookies in my Taste of Home Cookie Cookbook and modified it.  The only one at my house that really likes mint is my husband so I completely omitted it.  They are fun, colorful kid pleasers.  My son said, "Those are very delicious, you should make them more often."


Swirled Cookies

1 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup plus 1 Tbsp sugar, divided
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp peppermint extract (I omitted)
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
10 drops red food coloring
10 drops green food coloring

In a large bowl, cream butters and 3/4 cup sugar until light and fluffy.  Beat in egg and extracts.  Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.

Divide dough into thirds.  Stir red food coloring into one portion of dough; stir green food coloring into another portion.  Leave remaining dough plain.  Cover and chill for at least an hour.

Divide each portion of dough into four equal pieces.  Roll each piece into a 12 inch rope.  Place a red a green and a plain rope next to each other.  Cut through all three ropes at 1 inch intervals, forming sets of three differently colored doughs.  Repeat.

Roll each set of doughs into a ball; place balls 3 inches apart on un-greased baking sheets.  Flatten to 1/8 inch thickness with a glass dipped in remaining sugar.  Bake at 375 F for 8-10 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned.  Remove to wire racks to cool.

Print Friendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...