Saturday, December 29, 2012

Raspberry Pretzel Salad

This is another recipe I first tried at my Mother-in-Law's house and it quickly became one of my favorites.  I had my brother-in-law over for Thanksgiving one year and my whole dinner was a disaster including this salad.  I think it was because I was trying to impress him instead of paying attention to what I was doing... Make sure you use the 3 Tbsp sugar with the pretzels not the 1 cup... Oops .. It was so sweet we couldn't eat it.  Needless to say I only made that mistake once :)



Raspberry Pretzel Salad
2 cups semi-crushed pretzels
1 small can crushed pineapple, drained
9 oz cool whip
6 oz pkg raspberry jello
2 cups fruit (I like to use frozen raspberries)
3 Tbsp sugar
1/2 cup melted butter
8 oz pkg cream cheese, softened
1 cup sugar
2 cups boiling water

Combine pretzels, 3 Tbsp sugar, and melted butter and spread evenly over the bottom of a 9x13 pan.  Bake at 400 F for 4-5 minutes.  Remove to a wire rack and let cool completely.

Combine cream cheese, 1 cup sugar, pineapple, and cool whip.  Spread over the top of the cooled pretzel crust and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.

In a mixing bowl add 2 cups boiling water to the jello and stir until dissolved.  Add frozen fruit and stir until the fruit breaks up and the jello is partially set. (If not using frozen fruit you will need to partially set your jello so all the fruit doesn't float all to the top.  Watch it carefully so it doesn't set too much.) Carefully pour the jello and fruit over the back of a spoon to cover the cream cheese layer and refrigerate until set.

Cut into squares and serve.

Print Friendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...